Search This Blog

Friday, June 30, 2017

Revisiting Old Friends

Revisiting Old Friends

I am sitting here, listening to Alison Krauss “Now That I’ve Found You: A Collection” and sometimes I am amazed to discover that a song that I thought had been performed to perfection by the original artist is either topped by another artist's performance or is a song that I had judged as a throw away in the original performance and I haven’t given a second thought.

There are two songs on this collection that fit the bill. The first is the title song, “Now That I’ve Found You”. The original performance, by the The Foundations, to my mind, is a successful attempt by a UK band to imitate The Motown Sound that was very popular and innovative at the time. I think that the meaning of the song is lost in its success. Alison Krauss has brought out the meaning of this song in her rendering. The arrangement pares away the style and leaves us with a tender song of desperation, a plea for what she is losing. This could go very badly. The background vocals are used sparingly and effectively with the words “darling but I can’t let you” and “I built my world around you”. Will her plea end with this man’s return? Will she heal and move on? Or………?

The second song that came to mind, as an example of a well done song; The Beatles “I Will”. Paul McCartney captures the innocence of love in its first throes. It is genuine and without guile. The words are spoken to the loved one with complete honesty and truthfulness. The young man is bold in his proclamation. He has no fear of rejection. In Alison’s version, I hear it as a proclamation of joy at having found the person she is meant for and who is meant for her. The producer leaves us, at the beginning; with a guitar introduction that doesn’t give away what the song is. He relieves the tension 18 seconds in when the melody is introduced on the banjo. The banjo, when played at this tempo, communicates fragility in its inability to sustain notes well. It depends on the other instruments to carry it along.

Alison and company bring a new perspective to this great song. It seems, to me, to be more graceful and gentle. She brings out the hope for good things to come. Well done.

A very special thanks to Jo-Ann Hedleston at KRFC FM Radio 88.9 for being the inspiration for today's blog. She played "I Will" this morning.

-Adrian Yañez

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Will Happen to Music?

What will Happen to Music? The record business has been with us for just over 100 years. It has entertained for six generations.  M...